Title: Machinist - Manual/CNC Apprentice to Journeyman Operations
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Location: CPI Canada
Job Summary & Job Duties
Machinist – Manual/CNC Apprentice to Journeyman
Purpose: To set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Starts and operates typical manual machines including, but not limited to lathes, mills, drills, grinders, and saws. Position is expected to know how to operate a diverse variety of machines, at the accepted industry standards for the type of tooling being used.
• Read and understand engineered drawings, blueprints, charts, process sheets, tables and parts blow ups and verbal instructions to tolerances of .0005”.
• Manufactures complex parts, maintains calibration of tooling and complete calibration forms as required.
• Sharpens and sets tools.
• Works with all metallic and non-metallic materials.
• Read and interpret engineering drawings, blueprints, charts and tables or study sample parts to determine machining operation to be performed, and plan best sequence of operations
• Compute dimensions and tolerances and measure and lay out work pieces
• Ability to select appropriate tooling for the work to be done.
• Verify dimensions of machined parts using precision measuring instruments.
• Fit and assemble components and machine parts to industry standards.
• Maintain, repair and calibrate precision measuring instruments, uses gauges, calipers, micrometers to measure work.
• Document and report deviations from specifications and tolerances.
• Complete log books for each job, at each workstation.
• Maintain work area to the highest housekeeping standards.
• Monitor and maintain equipment as per maintenance requirements.
• Perform non-production related work as requested by the shift leader.
• Adhere to all Health and Safety, and Environmental requirements.
• Works with minimum supervision
• Mentors and trains junior machinists
• Other duties as assigned
• Answer telephones in a professional and positive manner in line with the CPI Phone Etiquette procedure
Ability to work independently
Must be able to use complex equipment requiring continuous attention.
Developed judgment skills
Ability to coordinate required tasks on own initiative
Ability to work under minimal supervision
Ability to multitask
Team player with positive attitude and good interpersonal skills
Communicate effectively in English (written and verbal)
Ability to initiate and complete projects within a specific timeframe
Must be able to make minor decisions
Must be able to follow routine procedures.
Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) oriented
Willing to work flexible hours and overtime as required
• 5+ years of experience as a machinist
• High school diploma
Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in machining.
Must be deemed competent by Journeyman if not completed certification
All required & company specified HSE tickets
Machinist Lead-hand – all of the above duties as well supervision of 1- 10 machinists
Machinist Apprentice & Noncertified Machinist – works under the direct supervision/mentorship of a Machinist JM in a learning capacity whereby work is monitored for quality and required standards.
Working Conditions: generally works in a shop environment, field work may be required. Some overtime may be required during peak periods.
GLOBAL PERFORMANCE: Nearly half of annual sales are generated in markets outside the U.S.